Monday, November 21, 2011

Vulcan 10-K

Some of you may know that a little over a year ago (Sept 25, 2010 to be exact - I only remember b/c its my dad's birthday!) I decided to get into a healthier lifestyle.  I have thought about blogging about it for a while now, but haven't had the nerve b/c I didn't want to sound too preachy or like I had it all figured out (I've already taken too much grief for my "motivational" pins on Pinterest!).  Stay tuned to see if I decide to share. 

So, as part of this "get healthy journey" I started running.  Last September, I couldn't run a lick.  I did my first workout which was the Couch to 5k program, as described here.  My first workout, I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, with only 8 of those minutes being at an actual jog (and at a very slow pace, might I add).  I only share my running history to give you a little perspective - a few weeks ago, I ran in my second ever race - I ran a 10-K! 

Now, prepare your gag reflex here - I actually enjoyed it.  Now, I CANNOT say this is the case for 99% of my runs - I like the results and I like the way I feel after, but I never thought I'd be one of those people who just enjoyed the run itself (and in the spirit of honesty...I'm not sure I've enjoyed a run since this run).  But, there was something about all of the people, working towards a common goal, enjoying the weather, etc.  I also liked this one much better than the 5-k - something about the distance was right.

I mentioned in a previous post that Emily Ann was trying to talk me into running the Vulcan 10-K - I decided last minute that I'd suck it up (even after my massive b-day dinner at Sumo).  I did have to do a double take when I picked up my race bib and it said my age was 28 - you have to put in your birthday and they calculate your age on race day.  Guess I'd forgotten I'd have one more b-day before race day!  :)
Vulcan Run - 2011


WAY too early - and it was really cold!

The route started and ended downtown and was pretty flat
Emily Ann and I ran together the first four miles of the race - her knee was bothering her a bit and we separated for the last 2.2 miles, but having her with me was great so I knew how to pace myself.  She has a Nike plus watch that tracks your pace while you run and that really helps - I tend to run too fast and then get winded early.  We still ended up finishing pretty close together - and they even had frozen yogurt from Yogurt Mountain at the end of the race - yogurt at 9:30 in the morning?  Don't mind if I do!


We did it!
Being new to the race world, I didn't realize they'd post your time on the Internet for all the world to see.  I might have run a little faster if I'd have known that  :)  All in all - not as fast as I was planning, but the important thing is that I did it!


So, I've sort of gotten the bug - there's a 10 mile race in January that I'm thinking about doing.  I know most people say to do a half marathon next, but 1.  That seems like a big leap to me and 2.  The timing is not as good - (mid Jan - March are really busy at work).  Again, putting my thoughts out there to have some blog accountability!  We'll see!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hey Linds! Thanks so much for sharing this, congrats on your journey and finding something that motivates you! The personal health journey was my reason to start blogging (and cooking) so I complete relate to you on that. I did a similar post for my 1 year blogiversary, putting the raw reasons out there - the things you are afraid to say because you are still trying to figure it out. I admire the fact that you are able to run and grow that passion. So happy to see that you are doing so well, all the best to you!

Hatchers said...

SOOO proud!!!!

Olivia said...

Congrats Lynds, on your first 10K, that is awesome! After my first 10K my next distance was a ten miler and I absolutely loved that distance! It's challenging yet doable. After my 10-miler is when I ran into some knee issues. It's likely that it's just your body getting used to new distances. Be sure to ice it whenever it starts acting up and don't be afraid to rest it for a week if it really starts to hurt. You won't loose any distance progress you have made by rest of that time. Good luck! So glad you've caught the bug.