Saturday, July 30, 2011

Adventures in Cooking - Oven Fried Okra - BUST!

In the interest of full disclosure, I thought I'd share a recipe which completely did NOT work.  I am not sure if it's my cooking skills, the recipe, or a combination of the two.  I really like fried okra (especially since moving to Alabama - they definitely know how to do fried vegetables here...well, really, fried anything down here...) and thought I'd try a healthier version.  This okra is baked instead of fried, but is supposed to still come out crispy.


Getting ready to coat the okra - soaking in the buttermilk mixture


I was so careful to coat EACH piece evenly... ready for the oven!


Finished product

They actually didn't LOOK half bad - maybe a little blackened in a few spots, but for the most part okay.  They tasted TERRIBLE however - very bland, over cooked, etc.  This will be one I cross OFF the list for next time!

No comments: